My problems are many, but diabetes is out of control. So either need a new dr (endocrinologist) or for my dr to step up to the plate and be a dr who cares about this. My numbers ran over 300 in the hospital and I was on insulin. My last recorded A1c was 9.9 and I know that isn’t good. It is bad and serious. I don’t want insulin and not sure I need it yet. Would like to control it with the oral medications instead if possible. I am terrified of needles.

I have requested a meter from this same dr, but was sent to voicemail with the nurses. No answer, no meter, but to go through insurance I need a script from the office.

It hurts to have the kids tell you that you are not the same strong mom they remembered. The one who fought mental disorders and who is now letting them control her among other things. I guess I needed that talk to get my head thinking straighter. They want me around and not killing myself either intentionally or by stupidity and not taking care of myself.

I want to be around. I feel selfless, less selfish helping others and happily. I feel that is what I am on this earth for. That is my religion talking. Even though I have returned to God, my Children spent very little time in church or learning because I gave up on him. I am trying to get them to understand how important this has become to me.

I don’t completely trust the drs I have, but changing them (negativity warning) seems like a lot of trouble with no guarantee that the next dr will be better. My experience with drs seems negative mostly. That is the way our system seems to be run. Hurry, hurry, hurry with no real thought being put into patient care.

I am not saying there are not good drs out there. Some really do care about their patients, Jonathan Colter for one. Sorry don’t have your website handy. Ahhh here we go: https://allabouthealthychoices.wordpress.com/

Love,

Tessa

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “Looking for helpful tips for a healthy lifestyle for someone who is not healthy…

1. hbhatnagar

I really hope you get better soon. Doctors, for the most part, have little to say in patient care. That doesn’t help people in pain like you though. I wish you peace. It’s ok to be weak once in a while….

1. Tessa Post author

Thank you. I think the kids expect me to be strong as I am the parent and also it alerts them to my mortality. At the rate I am going my life will be shortened without medical intervention. The diabetes can cause such terrible things to happen no matter how healthy you are. I need to up my chances of a long life and I need medical help to help me. Physically anyhow. Mentally they make things worse sometimes.

2. morgueticiaatoms

I love you and have the utmost respect for you…but for your kids to tell you that you are “letting” the mental disorders controls you gets my dander up. NONE of us sit back and let this stuff control us. It’s cruel to say that and worse still, you seem to believe it.
    Part of getting healthy, in addition to meds, food,exercise, embracing your faith…is letting yourself off the hook for not being able to control mental disorders. That guilt and self loathing is as toxic as a bag of sugar is for the diabetes. I hope you know this deep down because I don’t want any further setbacks for you.
    You were the most stable of the Femmes once, you’ll get back there again. ❤

1. Tessa Post author

Thank you for the plain speaking. Yes I know it, but a kick in the pants doesn’t hurt now and then. I was letting myself go. Not trying at all. Wallowing in bed. Feeling sorry for myself to the point of whining about it. I forgive him for plain speaking as in this case I think it is needed. Now I want to use his expertise in healthy living. I walked this morning for 5 minutes. Not much, but what my dr told me to start at. I need to do that regularly and maybe I will finally reach 10 and so on. I was a runner before the physical part took me down and my dr says I can get there again even if it takes a while. Though my age slows me down now too as I am almost 60.

Yes I was the most stable for awhile. You are right. What happened to me besides the medication. Thanks again for the plain speaking.

3. Doctor Jonathan

Sometimes rock bottom gives us a chance to reflect on our past experiences in life leading to our current environment. Sounds like you may have reached a place where you might be more receptive to positive changes in your life, EVEN IF you may not enjoy the process of change. If you do not have confidence in your doctors, you MUST find better choices. You can’t move forward to improve your health status while competing with those who are supposed to provide professional assistance. As difficult as the task may seem, it is an important decision you must make. You might want to discuss this with your family and seek their support in the process.

You know I care about your well being and have encouraged you to the best of my ability. If you are truly ready and willing to seek a better path in life you need a support team you can count on and trust. If you trust your Chiropractor, he may be able to help you within his network of referral doctors. You may also want to mention the term “Certified Functional Integrative Physician” to your Chiropractor to get his input regarding this recommendation. I wish you only the best and will continue to support you any way I can.

1. Tessa Post author

Thank you. Actually my kids are quite concerned with my health and my lack of desire to change things. they are behind me, but I am the one fighting the whole thing, but I think things are finally getting through to me about how serious I have put my health with my lack of caring and negativity. Negative is easier than positive and though I try I end back up on the negative side. Luckily for me I have a trained physical fitness son and he also is certified with some nutritional helps. he is transforming himself and he has the self discipline I need to develop. They are getting tired of my excuses though. I would hate to be bling or lose a limb because my sugars are out of control, but that isn’t all my fault. The dr has me on very little medicine and is watching my A1c going up and says we will talk about it next time, but next time never comes. Thank you for the support.

4. kate1975

Hi Tessa,
    Can you request a referral to a nutrituonist? With your health issues you should get that paid by insurance. And since that is their job they are better at health coaching than a doc.

Good and healing thoughts to you.

Kate

5. Susan Langer

With your diabetes out of control as it is, I would suggest you see an endocrinologist. They specialize in all of the problems related to diabetes including blood sugars, neuropathy pain, eyesight problems, nutrition, etc. They will easily get you hooked up with a meter and will work with you to get in to see a nutritionist for diet control and slowly wean you off of insulin to just tablets if that is possible. With an A1C almost 10 you have a ways to go before insulin is gone though. I’m on two types of insulin and pills but my A1C is 7, I just need to bring my weight down to consider coming down or off of insulin as a possibility. You need a specialist. Praying for you. 🙂

1. Tessa Post author

I was only on insulin in the hospital. My ever helpful PCP is useless. We will talk at my next scheduled appoint. I will have the meter Tuesday. They did order it, but the pharmacy doesn’t carry that brand. Kind of surprised because Freestyle is a very common meter. I am on pills and he hasn’t even increased the dosage of them. Will see how the talk goes and then decide if I need to see the endocrinologist. I have too many drs and bills now. My pcp has mentioned nutrition classes before. This time I will make sure it is the first topic of discussion so he doesn’t put it off again. thanks for the help.

1. Susan Langer

It helps to make a list of what you need to talk about before you go and don’t, absolutely don’t let him/her rush you. They are getting paid plenty for your visit. Advocate for yourself. If they don’t treat you right, report them to Medicare. You have that right.

6. kountrymama2012

I feel your pain, I also suffer with manic depression, and I hate the word “fighting it” because we have no choice. I love my doctor he’s amazing with my other health issues. I’ve to schedule two weeks or more though because he’s booked. I’ve been seeing him for 7 years, and my son has been seeing him since day one. I hope you find the doctors right for you. But the greatest Physician is watching over us!

1. Tessa Post author

Thank you. I have a great psychiatric nurse, but I am med resistant and we still haven’t found a combination that works. My mood stabilizer stops the mania, but not the depression. Can’t find an anti-depressant I can take.

7. Fabiola Rodriguez

Chin up! It’s never too late to start on the healthy path. If you don’t take care of yourself first, no one is going to do that for you. Just 30 minutes of exercise a day and a healthy diet can work wonders, even more than insulin or drugs. My dad has been battling diabetes for years, and he recently learned his kidneys were starting to fail and his glucose levels were through the roof. He’d been slacking off on his healthy habits, but after just a few months of getting back on track, he started to feel a lot better. Glucose is down and kidneys are working. Don’t give up! You can do this 🙂
    -Fabi at Wonder Fabi

1. Tessa Post author

Thanks for the pep talk. Physically unable to exercise for 30 minutes. I can barely walk 5 minutes. And eating healthy is difficult since I don’t cook. Need to figure my way around those 2 excuses.

Feel free to leave any feedback!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s